Among the thousands of victims of Menzgold Ghana Limited’s gold investment debacle, is a financial institution in London, UK, the lawyer for almost 1,000 aggrieved customers of the troubled Ghanaian gold investment firm, Ms Amanda Akuokor Clinton, has revealed.
“One of my main clients is actually a regulated financial institution in London”, she told Benjamin Akakpo on the Executive Breakfast Show on Wednesday, 17 April 2019, adding that the firm “invested in Menzgold and unlike most customers who paid money into Brew [Marketing], they wired money directly to Menzgold Ghana”.
Ms Clinton said all she is seeking for her clients is a refund of their investments and noted that more than half of her clients are bankers with financial knowledge.
She said the slowness by the authorities in clamping down on the five-year operations of Menzgold, gave the company some validation.
Ms Clinton is of the opinion that had the Menzgold issue been resolved within the first few months of its operations, millions of dollars would not have been invested by thousands of people.
“Over 60% of my clients are bankers and have financial background and, so, when even they saw the numbers of five years and they [Menzgold] keep on giving 10 per cent, it brings credibility to the organisation,” she explained.
Ms Clinton said she has “commercial clients but mainly people (individuals) with life savings” and they are not interested in any stories but to get the CEO of Menzgold, Nana Appiah Mensah, (NAM1) to settle them.
“No excuses, no marketing, no public relations thing, they just want their money back,” she insisted.
Meanwhile, Ms Clinton has officially requested Ghana’s Deputy Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Mr Joseph Dindiok Kpemka, to produce the Dubai court judgement which acquitted and discharged Mr Mensah.
The Ghanaian CEO had gone to Dubai late last year hoping to retrieve some $28 million (now $39 million in current gold value terms) owed Menzgold by a Dubai-based company for gold supply.
He was, however, arrested by the authorities in Dubai in December 2018 following a report lodged against him by the company that he had scammed them of some $51 million dollars.
Reports were rife that the court dismissed the case in favour of NAM1, an event that was confirmed by Mr Kpemka in some media interviews.
Among other things, Ms Clinton has requested official confirmation from the Attorney General’s office beyond the WhatsApp and phone calls received by the Deputy AG in that regard, based upon which he subsequently confirmed to the local media that NAM1 had, indeed, been acquitted and discharged by the Dubai court.
Ms Clinton is also seeking confirmation from the Deputy Attorney General about whether or not his statement in relation to the judgement in Dubai was an official and accepted statement by the Ghana government given that on 11 April 2019, the Ghana Consul-General to Dubai issued an apology retracting every bit of her comment and apologising to the government for breaching a directive gagging appointees from speaking on the Menzgold matter.
She also wants answers concerning the extradition of NAM1 to Ghana.
Additionally, Ms Clinton asked: “Following the 30-day lapse after the judgement, how and when will Mr Mensah be brought back to Ghana by the government and/or Interpol?”